Some time in our lives, we experienced asking for approval from our parents or other people, right? We would ask for their approval on things that we wanted to do. Their comments or suggestions often help us in our decisions.
Well, it goes the same with websites, games, and apps owners or makers. They would pay people to try their apps, websites, and games. These people would give comments about their experience on the site and would also provide recommendations on how the owners will improve their websites.
This is where companies like UserTesting come in. These companies serve as middlemen. These companies would hire people to test the websites of their clients.
Table of Contents:
- what is UserTesting;
- what are equipment needed to get started;
- how to sign up;
- questions and answers about the site and;
Disclaimer: Please note, any recommendations and/or conclusions are strictly opinions and may not apply to, or agree with, all persons or situations.
What is UserTesting?
UserTesting is a usability testing website that claims to pay people like you and me to assist marketers, app, gaming and website developers test the user experience of their projects.
What do I Need to Become a Tester?
- A computer or laptop
- Fast and reliable internet
- Tablet or Smartphone (Mobile Tests)
How to Become a Tester?
- Fill in your email address on the blank provided and then click on the ‘sign me up’ button.
- Check your email and click the link to confirm your email.
- Again, they will send another email that contains a link to the next step.
- Download their UserTesting Software.
- Complete the Initial Test.
Before starting the test, you should check that your microphone is working well, there is no background noise, your internet connection is fast, and you understood how the test and UserTesting software work.
- Check your email if your initial test was approved. If yes, proceed to the next step. If not, you will be given another chance to retake the test.
- Create a tester account.
- Start taking testing projects. Congratulations! Now check your dashboard and email if there are available tests that you can take.
You may have questions about the site. I listed some questions and answer them based on my experience.
Is my face recorded when I take testing projects?
No, your laptop’s screen and your voice are the ones that are recorded.
How much can I make with UserTesting?
The website will pay you $10 for every 20-minute test and lower than $10 for shorter tests.
How long does it take to complete a test?
Most test takes about 20 minutes to complete. But you will need to allot a few more minutes to upload the recording. It usually took me 1 hour to complete a test and upload the recording.
How can I receive my payment?
UserTesting uses PayPal as its payment gateway. The site pays a week after your recording was approved.
Can I use my smartphone?
Each test is device-specific. There are tests that you can take using a smartphone and some would require you to use your laptop.
Do they hire people from any country?
Yes. (The site accepts applicants from countries that accept PayPal.)
Can I do the test in my free time?
Yes, you can work anytime you want.
UserTesting is a legit company. It pays people to test out websites, apps, and games. It is not a get-rich-quick scheme, but you can easily make some cash on the side.
Here are the things I like about the site:
- They pay decent money for your time.
- It only takes a minute to know if you are qualified to take a test. The site will notify you at the beginning of the project if you are qualified or not. So, you won’t waste your precious time.
- Their payment gateway is PayPal. For me, PayPal is the most convenient and trusted company where you will receive your money.
- The testing software is easy to manipulate. There are testing websites that would make use of testing software that is difficult to manipulate or to download.
What I don’t like about UserTesting:
- Tests are based on your demographics and rating.
If there are available tests, you will need to qualify for each. The qualifications are based on your profile demographics. Let’s say, you are a student, you won’t be able to take a test that requires a college degree.
Another thing is that in every test you submit, you will receive a rating and feedback from the company. If you receive a low rating, you won’t be qualified to take a test that requires a 5-star rating.
- There are a few tests to take.
In my experience, I would receive one test a week and the system would often notify me that I am not qualified for the test.
That is for today’s EarnCredibles! I would love to hear your questions about and/or your experiences on the site. Comment in the comment box below.